Saturday, September 13, 2014

Vincent Ng Cycling story

I am Vincent and some call me Vincy as I had a nick that I normally use on social media, Vincybaby.
Me and my bike 
The nice thing about riding is I can eat abit more "freely" :) 
And here my riding story goes......
During my school days I really enjoy riding, I ride to school daily and also every part of Singapore, fishing, BBQ, catching spider and “ monkeys”! However these days does not last long, after my GCE O Level, my family shifted to Tampines as it was so far from where I had previously stayed, Jellicoe Road which is where the present condominium City Lights is. From there I lost contact of most of my friend riding in that area... Furthermore, I had started my education at Singapore Poly and it is so far for me to ride from Tampines to Singapore Poly. As I had join the SAF Poly Scheme and able to earn my own money, instead of riding a bicycle to school, I bought a motorcycle and rode to school, from there on I had lost touch of cycling as the boys to men process begun.
In end of 2013, I return from Shanghai after two years there, I was surprised by the changes in Singapore’s cycling world! The beautiful Punggol PCN was the first thing that attracted me most, follow by seeing so many cyclist rolling together and it bring me back to my old days feeling! 
This is Singapore

However thinking of spending more time with my wife and not forsaking cycling, I decide to cycle to work! I work as a Project and Technical Manager in IT industry. 
It all start with a thought as the distance seem incredibly far to me to complete 25km to office and another 25km back home as I am staying in Sembawang and my workplace is at Ubi. This is my route. It is 70% road and 30% PCN 
My route to work and back
a beautiful spot along the way to work
Without question I start to think of what should carry with me, how to take care of my office attire as it will crumple and crease. How should I wash up as my office dun have bathroom, how should this, how should that.... and soon procrastination fall in. Then come one fine night, I told myself when am I going to cycle to work, so with a sudden rise in spirit and following Nike slogan "Just Do It" I pack my office wear and shoe into my backpack and cycle to work in the next morning!!!
Thinking back of the first day, it was quite miserable, first thing I realize is, my underwear is all wet and I didn't brought a spare one. Second problem, my cooling off time is bit too short, well my office attire also all wet where I am sweating while changing into it and when my colleague came and ask me "is it raining outside.... However from this day, I gain experience, slowly I get smarter and now riding to work is just like driving to work!!!
Beside these beautiful sunrise, sunset photo, I also gain the most valuable thing in life, which is a my health! From high cholesterol to normal, from 120 blood pressure to 100, from resting heartbeat of 76 to 60 bpm and from 0.1 ton to 0.09 ton!!!
While writing this, I feel so much joy, happiness and start to feel my eye being well lubricated. To me it is really a inner sense of achievement! Well till date, I had been cycling to work for six months and I really wish I could continue to cycle till 80….
I do really enjoy cycling, I like to cycle in groups where you can meet friends, being poison by biker on bicycle parts and accessories. However, I do enjoy more cycling alone in the morning, with the silence and serenity, I enjoy hearing the rattling sound by my group set when rolling, nobbing our head and greeting morning to on passing cyclist! Stop whenever I like when I saw beautiful scenery!
If we only slow down and look 


No comments:

Post a Comment