|Lynten working on a bike|
|Happy with a bicycle... check out that smile! Photo credits Ross Valentine Errol|
|TR bikes at Blk 7 Jalan Batu, unit 01-107... becareful.. very "poisonous! "|
1) An introduction of urself
– Lynten Ong, 45 years old, father of three, bike store owner of TR bike. .. crazy cyclist.
2) Share with us your memories of cycling. How ur got into cycling.
- I have ALWAYS loved to ride, ever since I could balance I enjoyed the freedom the bicycle allowed me to explore the world around me. I remember staying with my Grandparents at Woskel Road, quite a hilly estate, for a 8 yr old but being able to ride up the hills and bombing down was the BEST, no gears than, just a simple Joker bike, banana seat, semi ape hanger bars........... Boy I NEED to find an adult size bike like that again......
3)The trends that came, gone
- think most have come full circle, like the wheels on a bike, road bikes have ALWAYS been around, then it was BMX, then MTBs, which mutated into other forms, fixed gears, think the bicycle has been 'reinvented' quite often since its invention.
4) Why u started TR bikes. How was it like then.
- TR Bikes was started when I left TheBikeBoutique (also started by me and a few friends, contrary to what has been printed, but that's another WHOLE story by itself and not worth going into depth) to do I wanted to do, which was to customize bikes like no one else.
We started out like any other bike store doing whatever bikes but almost had to shut down two years into the business as things got really bad and business was affected.
A change in the business plan pull us out of the red and into the black when we decided to go the direction in which we are on, which is to 'reinvent' the bicycle AGAIN. We started concentrating on fixed and singlespeed bikes and most thought we were crazy to do so, instead of embracing technology, we decided to go back to simpler times and it worked and EVERYONE else decided it WASN'T so crazy after all and followed........so who's the CRAZY one??????
5) What is your favorite ride, bicycle. Why?
- Boy, that's a tough question to answer but if I had one.......it'll be all the bikes I have ridden. A bike that is built right RIDES nice no matter what sort it is.
6) Words of advice to cycling in Singapore
- With the recent accidents and deaths, BE SAFE but aggressive at the same time, let the drivers KNOW you CAN'T and WON'T be bullied off the roads, we all have smart phones now and a PICTURE will say a 1000 words.