Sunday, April 24, 2011

Francis- Cycling advocate and zenman

Off road @ Pulau Ubin using a JZ88.... steady man!
Francis is the one who got me back into cycling. We met as colleagues at Philips design Singapore. Every morning, without fail Francis would ride his folding JZ88 bicycle to work. Rain or shine... and it was amazing to see him dripping wet from the rain, but still smiley and happy. That got me really intrigued and over coffee breaks, I asked him his "secret". "I used to drive every where and my health was failing me. Doctor say I need more exercise. So when my kids were bigger, I sold the car and started to ride bicycles. It is fun and u should try it..."  So we did. First by venturing out at lunch time with Peikang, Tahching and Francis.  With the bicycle, we could go further then walking and it was a good break from the office. From lunch time rides, we "graduated" to organising lovecycling Sunday rides...to lovecycling.net which is now attended by many riders. Francis is a classic "not the bike but the man" kind of guy. You will see him everywhere either with his trusty JZ88 or his classic Colnago Fixie. His laid back, serene and quiet ways conceal a strong conviction - to make cycling more accessible to all. Recently, he has taken step to focus full time on bicycles and all cycling related activities! That's is true commitment! Thank you Francis, for showing how much cycling can be fun and that cycling is a possible commuting alternative in Singapore.
Ride to eat! Tahching and Francis, founders of lovecycling
When I say bicycle is part of him...I wasn't kidding... bicycle as a chair...
Francis the innovator, tinkerer with his safety sail!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Tai Woon. Inspiring as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very welcome Francis! Let's rock this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Francis, your safety sail is a brilliant idea, esp in congested Spore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Al! Nice talking to you on the Sunday ride. I hope the project will get cyclist more visibility and safety on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Francis, is there a way for me to get in touch with JZ88's shop owner? I'm thinking of getting one. Rgds, TJ Tiow (Penang, Malaysia)

    ReplyDelete